Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Creative Gathering

Friday and Saturday, I was able to attend the Creative Gathering in Friedensfeld, Manitoba, organized by the Scrapbook Cottage. There was a wonderful group of ladies there—Scrapbooking, card making, experimenting with mixed media and generally just being creative!



Since the Friday night session ran until midnight, Charlene and I chose to stay at a wonderful Bed & Breakfast known as Calder House. Here we are on the front porch.


Lovely place to stay and what a wonderful breakfast we had–a fresh-made juice concoction and crepes with fresh berries, granola and Greek yogurt.



I was definitely pleased with what I accomplished. Though I may work slowly (I play a lot and try different variations with my card making before I decide on the final design) I felt that my finished cards were well worth the time it took to create them!

Here is one of the cards I created on the weekend.


This was a fun yet simple card to create. I knew I wanted to use a technique to create my own background. Here's what I used to create the effect on the Smoky Slate card stock matte.


That's right—a stamp pad and a crumpled piece of paper! I simply dabbed the crumpled paper on the stamp pad and then pounced it on the card stock to produce this effect:


I think the result is kind of funky and organic looking!

After creating this matte, I used Fuse Fast to adhere it to the Blackberry Bliss card base. I then used the Banners Framelits, along with my BigShot and Magnetic Platform, to cut out a banner. I used Versamark and a non Stampin' Up! silver embossing powder (to get a glittery silver effect) to heat emboss the edges of the banner. Because it was difficult to get the stamp pad into the "V" of the banner, I used a Versamark pen (now retired from Stampin' Up!) to ink that area. The pen was not as juicy as the stamp pad so I had to ink and emboss the area several times until it looked like the rest of the embossing.

I did not have any gray twine so used my lightest Smoky Slate Blendabilities marker to recolor Whisper White twine. After it dried, I tied two lengths around the top of the banner.

I stamped the typewriter from the Tap, Tap, Tap stamp set with Blackberry Bliss onto Smoky Slate card stock and then fussy cut it. The sentiment was stamped with Rich Razzleberry and then the typewriter was adhered to the banner with Dimensionals. I also used Dimensionals to pop up the banner on the matte.

I really like the Tap, Tap, Tap stamp set and plan to use it again soon!

0 comments: