I made the deadline for the Global Design Project #023 this time! It was a close call because I was having a bit of difficulty coming up with a balloon design. However, I persevered and finished my card!
My card colors also allow me to participate again in the Stampin' Royalty Challenge #317.
I started by punching large and small balloons from Watercolor Paper using the Balloon Bouquet Punch. I used Stampin' Sponges to color each with either Bermuda Bay, Cucumber Crush or Watermelon Wonder.
I grew a bit frustrated with designing a balloon bouquet because the balloons just didn't look right. Not until I came up with my current design did I think to do a Google search for balloon bouquet examples!
To make my design work, I referenced the four design principles that I had learned when I studied Multimedia Design:
For my card, I chose to use Contrast and Repetition. For the Repetition principle, I lined up two rows of alternating colors of balloons to use as the focal point of my card. When I used a different color and varied the position of one of the balloons, I used the Contrast principle.
For my card base, I used Watermelon Wonder and chose a finished card size of 4 3/4 x 6". From a wavy Bermuda Bay design on one of the Shine On Specialty Designer Series Papers I cut a matte. I adhered the matte to the card front using Fast Fuse Adhesive.
Using a ruler, I lined up the first row of five balloons, overlapping each and alternating colors, across the card. The balloons were offset on the sides and top of the card; I adhered them with Fast Fuse Adhesive.
I adhered four of the balloons in the second row and then for the focal point balloon, I used a Watermelon Wonder balloon and popped it up on double Dimensionals for the top part of the balloon and a single for the bottom. I also moved the balloon slightly above the alignment of the row of balloons. Using a pair of scissors, I trimmed off the balloons where they overhung the card base.
Before adhering the Watermelon Wonder balloon, I tied a length of black twine, separated from one of the twines in the Baker's Twine Combo Pack, around the balloon. I took a small amount of Crystal Effects and ran it up and down the twine with my fingers and then I left it to dry. I then wound the twine tightly around a pencil to give it a corkscrew twirl.
Using one of the now retired Adorning Accents Edgelits dies, I cut scallop borders onto a strip of Watermelon Wonder card stock. I cut a strip of Bermuda Bay striped paper from the Shine On DSP and adhered it on top of the scalloped piece. Using Fast Fuse Adhesive, I adhered this strip over top of the end of the balloon string.
Using the handy reference for the Banner Triple Punch found on the Feeling Crafty With Bekka site, I cut a strip of Cucumber Crush card stock and flagged each end with the punch. I used my MISTI with Stazon ink to stamp the sentiment from the now retired Sky Is The Limit Stamp Set. Using my MISTI allowed me to stamp the sentiment three times for a nice black impression. I used a Stampin' Sponge with Cucumber Crush ink to ink the edges of the banner.
I adhered the banner with Dimensionals to the card stock strip on the card front.
To amp up the design of the card, I used my Clear Wink of Stella pen to generously glimmerize (I think I created a new word here!) the Watermelon Wonder balloon as well as adhere an assortment of coordinating sequins.
I think this card creates a colorful party atmosphere befitting any type of congratulatory occasion!
Hope you enjoyed learning a little bit about design and my card making process today. I'd love you to drop me a comment below!