Friday, November 13, 2015

Who's Hiding In The Woods?

Have you been lamenting the long list of back orders at Stampin' Up? It has been a frustrating few months for customers and demonstrators alike but stock is slowly being replenished and back orders are being filled.

The other day I received my long awaited Woodlands Embossing Folder. Yippee!

I had been viewing pin after pin on Pinterest showing all the neat ways Woodland could be used. I was specially intrigued by the technique of stamping "behind" the tree trunks.

I didn't have any of the old car stamps but I did have a deer stamp. What would be more apt than a deer in the woods?

I watched two really good video tutorials on the technique, one by a demonstrator nicknamed, Frenchie, and one by Dee Slater. The technique involves applying ink to the inside of the top piece of the embossing folder, either directly (by stroking the embossing folder with the ink pad) or with a sponge. Then the image that you want behind the trees get stamped on the embossing folder as well.

Next, a piece of card stock is placed in the folder, the folder is closed and then the folder is run through the Big Shot as usual.

I tried a few test pieces using various ink colors before deciding on using Soft Sky for the background and Baked Brown Sugar for the deer.

As per the tutorials, I applied Soft Sky ink to the inside of the Woodland folder and then stamped the deer from the now retired hostess set, Warmth & Wonder, using Baked Brown Sugar. I wasn't totally pleased with my results—the background was a touch streaky, and the deer was a little splotchy. The streaky background didn't bother me too much but the deer needed some help. I carefully touched up the deer using my Baked Brown Sugar Stampin' Marker.

Next, I applied some Smoky Slate ink to the tree trunks using a sponge dauber. I trimmed the panel to 3.75 x 5" and then inked the edges using both Baked Brown Sugar and Soft Suede inks.

I inked the edges of a Soft Sky matte using Lost Lagoon and then adhered the embossed panel. I taped a length of 3/8" Lost Lagoon ribbon around the left side and then tied a short piece in a knot around it.
I adhered this panel to a card base of Baked Brown Sugar.

Using a piece of Gold Cording Trim, I threaded on a Basic Gold Metal Button and tied it onto the ribbon.

On a piece of Whisper White I stamped the "merry" sentiment, from the now retired Pennant Parade stamp set, using Lost Lagoon and then die cut it using the smallest tag die from the Tags & Labels Framelits. I inked the edges of the tag and then used some more Gold Cording to hang it from the button.

I cut another Soft Sky matte for the inside of the card, inking the edges with Lost Lagoon. I stamped a deer in the bottom left corner using Soft Suede and then adhered the matte using Fuse Fast Adhesive.




I must say that I'm liking the color combo of Soft Sky and Baked Brown Sugar! What do you think? Drop me a comment below!

Built for Free Using: My Stampin Blog

0 comments: