Thursday, October 2, 2014

Holiday Home For All Seasons

THe card I'll be showing you today is the last of the cards that I created while attending the Creative Gathering in Friedensfeld. This card took me practically an entire day to create! Remember, I am a slow card maker because I like to try out several variations before settling on the final look for a card.

This card in particular used a lot of different techniques so I got to play a lot! For me, it's all in the "journey" (though the destination can be pretty good, too!).



As I set out to design this card, I knew the following:


  • I wanted to make a Screen Divider card.
  • I wanted to use the Home For The Holidays stamp set.
  • I wanted to use the 2014-2016 In Colors.

  • I followed the video tutorial by fellow demonstrator, Dawn Olchefske, to make the basic card base. Instead of Whisper White, I decided on Crumb Cake as a good neutral color to go with the In Colors.

    After preparing the base by punching with the Decorative Label punch, I used a non Stampin' Up! border punch, Swiss Cheese, to punch the top. I then used Baked Brown Sugar to ink all the card edges, including the card front.

    I made the decision to take a Four Seasons approach to the card because of the four panels to decorate. I then cut the four colored panels, for the inside of the card, from Blackberry Bliss, Lost Lagoon, Mossy Meadow and Hello Honey. I decided that I would order the panels as Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall.
    I also cut the smaller pieces from Whisper White to go on each matte and figured out how best to arrange stamps on each panel. Because they were quite narrow, there was not much room to create a yard for each home so the focus would need to involve the background for each.

    I stamped all three houses on scraps of Whisper White, stamping the smallest house twice. It would be used at each end of the card to maintain consistency. I used the Blendabilities markers to color in each house, choosing colors to complement each background I would use.

    After using the Big Shot and the Magnetic Platform with the Holiday Houses Framelits, I used a Black Stampin Marker to touch up the edges of each house outline.

    Next, I created the backgrounds for each panel, varying the horizon line each time for interest.
    For Winter, I I masked the horizon and then sponged on the retired Bashful Blue for the sky. I then tore strips of Whisper White to form snow drifts and topped them with glue and glitter. I stamped an evergreen tree and a snowman in the yard.

    Spring allowed me to use my clouds template (four scalloped circles glued together) with some Bashful Blue to create the sky. Old Olive and Mossy Meadow created the lawn. A bare tree was stamped and leaves added to it using a Pear Pizzazz Stampin Marker.

    Summer was created by sponging a sky with Midnight Muse and a lawn of Old Olive and Mossy Meadow. Stars were added to the sky using Stickles. An evergreen tree was stamped in the yard.

    Fall had a beautiful sunset sky sponged using Perfect Plum, Rose Red, Tangerine Tango and Crushed Curry. The lawn was again created with Old Olive and Mossy Meadow. A bare tree was added to complete the yard.

    All four season scenes were mounted on their colored mattes and adhered to the four panels of the card. Fast Fuse made this a quick and easy job!

    I used a memento ink to stamp the sunburst from Kinda Eclectic on the bottom front of the card. The small house was stamped on Crumb Cake and die cut and then mounted on Dimensionals on top of the sunburst.
    The sentiment was also stamped on Crumb Cake and die cut using the arrow from the On Film Framelits and adhered to the top of the card. A Blackberry Bliss ribbon was used to close the card.

    Though this card may have taken a long time to plan and create, it gave me a lot of joy in making it! Stay tuned to the blog to see the remake of this card that I will be teaching to my Stampin' Up! Card group!


    Built for Free Using: My Stampin Blog


    0 comments: