I started by creating the background matte. This was inspired by a card created by Diane as seen on this Pinterest link. I used the Brick Wall Embossing Folder to emboss a piece of Watercolor paper and then sponged on inks–Tempting Turquoise, Emerald Envy, Cajun Craze and Night of Navy.
Using Versamark, I stamped two of the lanterns from the Moroccan Nights stamp set on Vellum and then heat embossed using Copper Stampin' Emboss Powder. I used scissors to fussy cut the lanterns.
I ran a length of the 5/8" Burlap Ribbon across the bottom of the card and taped it to the back. I used glue dots to keep the ribbon flat against the matte.
The sentiment from the Jar of Love stamp set was stamped with Basic Black on Emerald Envy card stock. A stitched oval was used to die cut the sentiment. A scalloped oval from the Layering Ovals Framelits was used to die cut Night of Navy and then Soft Suede was die cut with another stitched oval. These were sponged with Cajun Craze and layered using liquid adhesive and Dimensionals.
Next, I cut a Whisper White matte the same size as the brick matte. I positioned the lanterns on the matte and traced around them using a pencil, marking the spots where the light would show the vellum. Then, because I would be using the sentiment embellishment to press the "switch" to light the lanterns, I traced both the ribbon and the oval onto the white matte. I also used my Piercing Tool to poke through the white matte and through the brick matte so I would know where the light would be. Lastly, I scored 7/8" from the bottom of the matte and folded up to form the spot where the battery would sit.
|White matte showing traced lanterns, ribbon, and sentiment embellishment|
I used a pencil crayon to draw two parallel paths, negative and positive, through the lantern tracings, with the end of the negative path above the fold and the positive end below the fold. I also marked positive and negative signs next to the ends so I could keep track which was which.
A Circuit Scribe Pen was used to trace over the paths I had drawn, filling in a solid circle at the end spot for each of the positive and negative paths. I then carefully peeled off one of the Chibitronic LED lights, being careful not to touch the sticky bottom. I adhered one LED within each lantern tracing. Each light was adhered across the positive and negative paths, with the point of the light on the negative path.
|Negative path traced with pen, positive path drawn with pencil crayon|
|Completed paths with lights adhered, battery on negative spot|
I placed the battery, text side up, on top of the negative spot and tested the circuit by pressing down the folded paper over the battery (completing the circuit by pressing the positive spot down onto the battery's positive side). It worked! If it hadn't, I would have carefully checked each path to make sure no gaps existed as well as checking that each LED was securely adhered.
|Battery enclosed with adhesive strips|
Since the circuit was working, I then used pieces of Adhesive Strips to enclose the battery and keep it from moving around. I carefully folded the matte over the battery to adhere it. I then cut the excess folded card stock away.
The lanterns were adhered to the front of the brick matte using cut up Dimensionals and a drop of liquid adhesive for the chains of the lanterns. It was then, upon holding the card up to the light, I realized that the "hole" for each light did not look right behind the vellum so I further clipped out more of a hole behind each lantern's vellum piece.
I used more of the Adhesive Strips as well as some Dimensionals to adhere the brick matte over the white matte. The two mattes were then adhered to the front of an Emerald Envy card base.
Lastly, the sentiment embellishment was adhered over the burlap ribbon using Adhesive Strips.