Thursday, April 7, 2016

Vellum Overlay For Stamp, Ink, Paper

Linda Vich Creates: Vellum Overlay For Stamp, Ink, and Paper. The Rose Wonder stamp is heat embossed in white on the outer vellum card, perfectly outlining the same stamped and colored image on the inner card below it. Wink of Stella, rhinestones and a Soft Sky bow are the finishing touches to this glamourous card!
It was opportune that Jennifer McGuire's post showed up in my Inbox this morning. Her video depicting how she created several stunning cards using a vellum overlay technique really grabbed my attention! I decided to attempt the technique for the color challenge over at Stamp, Ink and Paper.

SIP 42 Color Challenge 800

I really like these colors–at least two of them! I think that Bermuda Bay really looks stunning with the Night of Navy. Soft Sky is not my favorite because it is so pale but I was able to include it on my card by using a ribbon.

I decided to use the Rose Wonder stamp set for this technique because I knew that it would look wonderful on the vellum, but for the inner card, I decided to use the Floating Reinker Technique.

I chose a piece of very light watercolor paper (non-Stampin Up) and cut it to a standard card size. The rose image was stamped in Versamark and heat embossed with White Stampin' Emboss Powder.

Instead of spraying the image with water as is done in most of the tutorials (they were using Shimmery White paper) I decided to add water with a paintbrush. That way, if I needed to re-wet any sections of the image, I could do so easily.

After wetting the image, I used my Aqua Painter to pick up a little bit of Night of Navy and dabbed it into the various sections of the rose. As soon as the ink touched the water on the rose, it "floated" into the embossed section it had been added to; it didn't float evenly, though, so a nice mottled effect was the result. I repeated this procedure for each section of the rose and then switched to Bermuda Bay reinker for the leaves.

I set the painted image aside to dry, and worked on other things for awhile. Then, I touched up the image with my heat tool to be sure it was totally dry. The paper had warped slightly so I touched it up by ironing it, between scrap paper and covered with an old pillowslip, using a low temperature.

Next, after determining the size of vellum for my outer card, I cut, scored, and folded it. I placed the inner card into place and set it into my MISTI. There I placed the rose stamp over the vellum, lining it up with the image showing through from beneath. I stamped it in Versamark and heat embossed it with White Stampin' Emboss powder.

While I had my MISTI out, I also stamped the sentiment from the Picture Perfect stamp set using Jet Black Stazon ink. I let it dry and then made sure it was using the heat tool. I then colored in the sections using the Wink of Stella pen.

Once that was completely dry, I put the painted card on the inside and attached the two with a length of Soft Sky Seam Binding. The final touch was to add a few rhinestones to the front of the card.

Linda Vich Creates: Vellum Overlay For Stamp, Ink, and Paper. The Rose Wonder stamp is heat embossed in white on the outer vellum card, perfectly outlining the same stamped and colored image on the inner card below it. Wink of Stella, rhinestones and a Soft Sky bow are the finishing touches to this glamourous card!

Linda Vich Creates: Vellum Overlay For Stamp, Ink, and Paper. The Rose Wonder stamp is heat embossed in white on the outer vellum card, perfectly outlining the same stamped and colored image on the inner card below it. Wink of Stella, rhinestones and a Soft Sky bow are the finishing touches to this glamourous card!

What do you think? Drop me a comment below–I'd love to hear from you!



6 comments:

Gingin said...

Gorgeous card Linda!! I haven't tried that vellum overlay technique before but you have inspired me to try it now. Thank you so much for joining us this week at Stamp Ink Paper :)

Linda Vich said...

Thank you so much Gingin!

Donna Ellis said...

Beautiful, Linda, and such pretty textures in the roses. XO

Carolyn Lindenmayer said...

Hi Linda love your work here. The rose looks wonderful in our challenge colours. I would never have thought of a Navy rose, and the vellum looks great with the rose stamp. Thanks for joining us this week at Stamp Ink Paper. Carolyn xx

Linda Vich said...

Thank you Donna!

Linda Vich said...

Thank you so much Carolyn!