Monday, March 21, 2016

Mini Treat Baskets For Easter

The other day, a customer came through my till at Walmart with a miniature Daffodil plant. Why is it that whenever you see something in miniature it is so much cuter than the full size version? I love Daffodils as they are such a real sign of Spring but miniature ones . . . oh my!

Allison Okamitsu recently showcased a miniature Easter Basket in a blog hop and I knew that I would have to CASE it for some of my colleagues at Walmart!

I started by cutting 3.5" squares of Elegant Eggplant. I also cut 5.5 x .25" strips. I scored the squares at 1" and 2.5" and then rotated the square by 90° and repeated the scoring. I folded on all the score lines.

Leaving one flap folded, I used my Word Window Punch to punch two holes about 1/4" from the edge of the folded flap and up as far as the punch would reach. I then rotated 180° and repeated the punch. I then flipped to the other side, folded the edge and repeated the punching. This created the tiny openings in the side and bottoms of the baskets.

With the punched openings running horizontal, I cut up the vertical scoring to the horizontal score line and then cut in from the corner at an angle to the horizontal score line. I repeated this on the other end and then rotated 180 ° and repeated. this left triangles at each corner.

I placed Fast Fuse on each corner and adhered to create a box. I pulled each strip between my fingers to give it a slight curve and then placed Fast Fuse Adhesive at each end. I adhered the ends inside the box on the solid sides to provide a box handle.

I cut a piece of Cucumber Crush Cotton Paper 4 x 12" and folded it in half lengthwise. My Fringe Scissors were used to cut strips which were then crumpled and placed in the miniature baskets.
I nestled three chocolate carrots, found at Dollarama, in the crumpled grass. I formed miniature bows from 1/8" Crushed Curry Ribbon and adhered them to each basket handle using a glue dot.

After posting this, I decided that the little baskets weren't quite cute enough so I went back and added little basket liners to each one! I used a sheet of the now retired Regals Designer Series Paper Stacks because I needed the tiny polka dot Crushed Curry paper to make these.

I cut 1" squares and scored them on the diagonal. I then used glue dots to adhere them to two sides of each basket.



How cute are these? These were so much fun to create! Be sure to check out Allison's version and video tutorial for clearer directions on how to make these sweet little baskets.

Have you made any treat baskets, boxes, or bags for Easter? Let me know in the comments below!



2 comments:

Donna Ellis said...

How cute and sweet, Linda! hugs, de

Linda Vich said...

Thanks Donna!