Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Brick Wall And Vases For Global Design Project

Today's card is for the Global Design Project #025. This is a card that I planned out while working at Walmart on Monday (we weren't busy at the time).

Global Design Project #025 Colour Challenge

I was drawn to this color scheme, even though it is not one I would usually use in my card designs. My only regret is that the yellow wasn't a deeper yellow like Delightful Dijon.

For me, this was a perfect opportunity for a high contrast card. (Is there any other kind?!!) I love the way that Smoky Slate and Basic Gray look next to each other.

I started by cutting one of my favorite sizes of card bases–4.75 x 6"–from Basic Gray. I also cut a matte from Thick Whisper White.

Next, I used the window die from the Hearth & Home Framelits to die cut three window frames from Basic Gray. I glued these together to provide a thicker, more stable window frame.

My design idea was to showcase a window on the outside of a home so I wanted to use the Brick Wall Embossing Folder for my card. However, the window needed to be cut first or else the embossing would get flattened if I tried to cut it after embossing.

Because I wanted to have my window cut right into the card itself, I needed to do a bit of measuring to ensure that everything worked out properly.

I determined the position of the window frame on the matte and then drew light pencil lines on the inside of the window panes. After removing the window frame, I drew lines past the lines already there and connected them to form a rectangle slightly larger than the inner measurements of the window. I used my Stampin' Trimmer to cut out the hole for the window and then I used that hole to draw lines again but on the card front. I cut the hole for the window out of that as well.

With the hole in place, I then drew pencil marks through the hole in the card front onto my watercolor matte for the inside of the card. This allowed me to determine where to stamp my image. I masked off the sentiment part of the stamp and stamped the vases in Basic Black Archival ink and set the matte aside to dry.

Next, I embossed the Whisper White matte using the Brick Wall Embossing Folder. Using sponge daubers and both Smoky Slate and Basic Gray inks, I inked up the bricks. I finished by inking the edges of the matte with Basic Gray.

After erasing leftover pencil lines, I used my Aqua Painter with reinkers for Daffodil Delight, Smoky Slate and Basic Gray to color the stamped image. I used my heat tool to ensure it was completely dry and then adhered it to the inside of the card with Fast Fuse Adhesive.

Fast Fuse was also used to adhere the brick embossed matte to the card front. Once it was in place, I used Multi Medium Matte–very carefully (see yesterday's post to find out why!)–to adhere the window frame to the front of the card.

To finish the card, I stamped the sentiment from Vivid Vases by first masking off the vases and then stamping with Basic Black on a strip of Daffodil Delight. I used this handy chart to determine the length I needed for creating a banner with the Triple Banner Punch. I adhered the sentiment to the card front using Dimensionals to complete my card.




I am very pleased that the card I had envisioned turned out even better than I had anticipated!

Have you tried making a card for the Global Design Project yet? If not, why not give it a try? It's a great way to get your creative juices flowing!



11 comments:

Donna Ellis said...

Incredible drama. Linda, how do you inevitably use the common every day elements to create intrigue and drama! Wow! I especially enjoy the shadow! Hugs, de

Linda Vich said...

Thanks Donna! You give me too much credit, though . . . the shadow was a happy accident caused by the lighting when I took the picture of the card! However, back when I was a member of a photography club, I would have killed to get a shadow like that on a photo! 😄

Deb Macdowell said...

Linda you have done a great job with this card! It makes me think of a big city, late at night, walking down an alleyway and seeing inside a window of a place that has left the light on!

Linda Vich said...

Thanks Deb!

Brian King said...

Linda - I LOVE how you've showcased these sweet flowers - what a great card! Thank you so much for playing along with this week's color challenge at the Global Design Project.

Linda Vich said...

Thanks so much Brisn!

Linda Vich said...

Darn typing on an iPhone! Sorry about that, BRIAN!

Jess said...

What a great idea to feature this colour combination Linda. Love it. Thanks for sharing and joining in with this week's Global Design Project!

Linda Vich said...

Thank you so much Jess!

Stampin' Dolce said...

What a great way to use that embossing folder!I am just catching up on all of the posts from the challenge last week. Thank-you for playing along with the Global Design Project!!

Linda Vich said...

Thanks for your comments Krista!