Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Birthday Card For Photography Buff

My brother's birthday was March 14. He is a photography and videography buff so I decided to make him a camera-themed birthday card.

Of course, the first place I looked for ideas was Pinterest. I knew I wanted to make use of the Snapshot stamp as well as the Peachy Keen stamp set. I also thought I could work in the use of the On Film Framelits. These are all retired products from Stampin Up but I love them!

The beautiful card by Michele Reynolds was the one I chose to CASE .

I started by cutting a standard card base from Thick Whisper White card stock. From Real Red, I cut a matte and embossed it using a Cuttlebug Embossing Folder called Spots & Dots because I thought it was reminiscent of camera lenses.

Black Soot Distress Ink was used to rub across the raised portions of the embossing as well as to ink the edges of the matte. I used Dimensionals to adhere it to the card front.


Using the polaroid die from the On Film Framelits, I die cut a frame from the Thick Whisper White as well as one from self adhesive Fun Foam. I also cut pieces of Basic Black and Window Sheet to fit under the frame.

I used White Stazon ink and my MISTI to stamp the sentiment from the Perfect Pennants stamp set on the piece of Window Sheet. The MISTI is especially good for stamping on acetate because inked stamps have the tendency to slip on the acetate causing smeared prints but the MISTI keeps the stamp and the acetate stationary resulting in a perfect print.

Once dry, I used Multi Medium Matte to glue both the Window Sheet and the Basic Black card stock behind the Whisper White frame. I then glued the Fun Foam frame to the stack and then peeled off the adhesive backing and adhered the stack to the card front.

I used the small camera die to cut three cameras from Real Red and one from Basic Black card stock. I used the Black Soot Distress Ink to rub over the red cameras. I added rhinestones to the lens of each camera and then used Dimensionals to adhere them to the card front.

The Balloon Bouquet Punch was used to punch three balloons from a Real Red polka dot paper from the retired Brights Designer Series Paper Stack. I chose the retired rather than the current one because I wanted small polka dots for the balloons. I used Black Soot Distress ink to ink the edges of each balloon, adding a bit more shadow to the right side.

I tied lengths of Basic Black Baker's Twine to each balloon and then attached them to the card front using Dimensionals. I used a glue dot to adhere the twine ends under a button from the Neutrals Designer Buttons. I topped the button with a knotted 1/8" Real Red Ribbon, now retired.

For the inside of the card, I stamped once with the Snapshot stamp and three times with the camera stamp from the retired Peachy Keen stamp set, using Smoky Slate ink.

I'm pleased with how this card turned out and I think my brother will like it!



Do you have a photographer in your life? Or are you the photographer? Drop me a comment below and let me know!



4 comments:

Donna Ellis said...

wow! beautiful shading in your balloons, Linda - you always produce such incredible depth and dimension in your color-intense cards - such a wonderful artist in this craft - your card is a wonderful design! hope you are enjoying a fab week! hugs, de

Linda Vich said...

Donna, thank you for your lovely comments! You are always a bright spot in my day when I find out I've got a comment from you!

Gloria S said...

I like your card. Don't have access to past stamp sets that you do! Have a grand daughter whose birthday is next month. She also is a photo buff! I would like to know where you find the adhesive backed fun foam? I've never seen it except what SU includes in our kits. Thank you sharing!

Linda Vich said...

Hi Gloria! Thanks for your comments. I pick up the Fun Foam either at Dollarama or Walmart.