Saturday, December 19, 2015

Rustic Poinsettias

I was immediately drawn to the poinsettia on Wendy Weixler's card when I received it in my email and knew that I just had to CASE it! I thought it would make lovely Christmas cards for my stamping group and would look pretty in a number of colors.

Because I knew that I would punch petals from 3 x 7" strips of paper, I trimmed five Whisper White sheets to 7 x 9" and then used a stamp from Gorgeous Grunge to stamp over the entire sheets. I chose these colors–Real Red, Pacific Point, Strawberry Slush, Bermuda Bay, and Melon Mambo.

I trimmed each sheet into three strips and punched 8 small petals and two double petals using the Festive Flower Punch. I also punched Whisper White circles using the 3/4" Circle Punch to serve as a base for each flower.

For each petal, I folded it in half lengthwise to give it some dimension and then inked the edges with Soft Suede, using a sponge dauber. I used my glue gun to assemble each flower on its base.

I cut three mattes of each of the five colors of card stock and then used Heidi Swapp's Color Shine Spritz in Gold Lamé to spritz each one. This gave a festive look to the panels and I loved the look of the paint drops of varying sizes!

From Thick Whisper White I cut card bases and then used my heat tool to make sure all the mattes were completely dry. Next, I stamped the sentiment from the Embellished Ornaments Stamp Set on each matte and heat embossed it using Clear Stampin' Emboss Powder.

Using the Burlap ribbon, I cut lengths for each matte and then frayed the bottom edge. To make the ribbon not look quite so heavy looking, I also pulled some strands from the centre of each ribbon. I used sticky strip to attach the ribbons to each matte.

The mattes were adhered to each card base using Dimensionals and the poinsettias were adhered to the burlap ribbons, also using Dimensionals. To complete each flower, some Gold Cording Trim was threaded through a Gold Basic Metal Button and tied in a bow, and the button adhered to the flower using the glue gun.

The finishing touch for each card was to add three snowflakes from the now retired Frosted Sequins mix. However, the stark white of the snowflakes wasn't quite right so I painstakingly dipped each snowflake in glue from the Fine Tip Glue Pen and then sprinkled them with Dazzling Diamonds Glitter. Once they were completely dry, I adhered the snowflakes using the Fine Tip Glue Pen.


Close up of one of the Melon Mambo cards.

Close up of one of the Melon Mambo cards  from another angle.
I am very pleased with how these cards turned out! The poinsettias and the gold-sprayed mattes remind me of the vintage enamel ware pots and pans people used to have! Such a homey look!


Built for Free Using: My Stampin Blog

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Linda, these are stunning!

Linda Vich said...

Thanks so much Michelle!

Donna Ellis said...

Happy New Year, Linda! What a fab combination of techniques and styles! Love your fun poinsettias combined with the textured rustic look of burlap - GREAT IDEA! I always admire the techniques on your cards, yet have trouble even implementing one on my cards, let alone a few different ones - your ideas are so inspiring! hugs, de

Linda Vich said...

Happy New Year to you as well, Donna! Thank you for your lovely comments—I had s lot of fun making these cards as they helped to satisfy my texture craving!