Thursday, January 12, 2017

2017 New Year's Cards

Linda Vich Creates: 2017 New Year's Cards. Fireworks in gold and silver embossing burst behind gold glimmer numerals on this festive New Year's card.
This year, since I ran out of time to do my own Christmas cards, I decided to try something different . . . I created and sent New Year's cards!

As soon as I saw the It's A Celebration stamp set, I knew that I wanted to use it for fireworks and I envisioned this card. Before actually creating the card, I saw several similar cards on Pinterest so it seems that many of us had the same idea!

I started by cutting a standard card base from Basic Black. I also cut two mattes: one Whisper White and another Basic Black.

Because I knew I would be cutting the numerals for 2017 from Gold Glimmer paper, I wanted to echo that "glimmer" by using a matte of the same. However, I didn't want to use up a whole lot of Gold Glimmer paper in the process.

Instead, I cheated.

I used Versamark to ink the edges of the Whisper White matte and then heat embossed using Gold Tinsel Embossing Powder by Recollections.

This technique of embossing just the edges of a matte can be used to mimic either glimmer or foil paper as well. I find that sometimes the Gold Embossing Powder doesn't match with the Gold Foil paper so this is a way to achieve a consistency between embossed sentiments with a matte of the same color. (This is similar to the old style "dickie" of the sixties where a collar with some attached fabric was worn to mimic a turtleneck being worn under a shirt!)

On the Basic Black matte, I used Versamark and the fireworks stamps, heat embossing some with Gold and some with Silver Stampin' Emboss Powder. This matte was adhered to the Gold Embossed Whisper White matte which was adhered to the card base.

After die cutting the numerals from Gold Glimmer using the Large Numbers Framelits Dies, I used Adhesive Strips to adhere the numerals to the card front.

A simple Whisper White matte adhered inside the card was stamped with Happy New Year.

Linda Vich Creates: 2017 New Year's Cards. Fireworks in gold and silver embossing burst behind gold glimmer numerals on this festive New Year's card.

I hope you enjoyed this card and you are enjoying 2017–it's going to be a GREAT year!



0 comments: